Junior Camp Counselor (non-paid) – Summer 2021
Iron Diamond Sports partners with Jacksonville Beach Baseball Association to provide opportunities to teach, mentor, and serve boys and girls in the local community and surrounding areas. The Junior Counselor/Volunteer Program will be conducted through Jacksonville Beach Baseball Association. Junior Camp Counselor reports directly to the Senior Camp Counselors and/or the Program Coordinators and is responsible for aiding in the supervision of all camp participants. Junior Counselors will be responsible for assisting the Senior Counselors in daily administration of the Summer Camp Program, including: ensuring the well-being and safety of all participants, administering games and activities, providing daily feedback to the Program Coordinator, filling out paperwork and maintaining daily logs, and maintaining a fun and safe environment for the participants.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Must be at least 15 years of age or older OR entering the 10thgrade (whichever occurs first).
- Must have a 3.0 GPA.
- Must be in physical shape to perform exercises and participate in group activities.
- Have a general understanding of team sports and rules.
- Have some experience with large groups of children OR have been a previous camper.
- Have an outgoing, fun, positive and energetic personality.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or non-family member that has experience working with applicant.
- Define Responsible, Accountable and Commitment.
Note: The Junior Counselor will be required to assistcamp leaders with the following responsibilities:
- Lead campers through games, group tasks and other activities.
- Ensure that campers at all times are supervised and maintain a safe and enjoyable camp environment.
- Assist all Program Coordinators/Senior Counselors/Coaches with daily activities and responsibilities.
- Keep track of camp supplies/equipment and convey to the Program Coordinators/Senior Counselors/Coaches any needs the camp has (i.e. water coolers, cups, camp equipment, etc.).
- Perform head-counts on participants throughout the day.
- Ensure participants are safe (properly hydrated, playing areas are free of hazards, etc.).
- Interact with parents/guardians during drop-off and pick-up times.
- Assist in daily set-up/break-down of camp activities, as well as, trash detail.
Public speaking, communication, organization, leading small groups and the ability to withstand physical activities. First Aid & CPR certifications are a bonus but not required (unless you are applying for a paid position to be a Senior Counselor/Coach). This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this volunteer. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
-When choosing a whole week of camp to volunteer, then you must be available and committed to work the week you sign up for and be able to attend camp Monday-Friday, 8:30am-3pm. You may sign up for extended day hours as well, 7:30am-5:30pm.
-When choosing part-time, then you must list all the dates/times that you are available to work and commit to those dates and times.
-Once your schedule has been approved, failure to commit to the volunteer schedule will result in termination of the Volunteer Service Program immediately. If there are any changes that need to be made or an emergency, please contact Iron Diamond Sports and let them know right away.
Applicant must fill out the Junior Counselor Application, Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement and Medical Release form and return it via email at IronDiamondSports@hotmail.com or in person (must be turned in before start of camp). You will be contacted once your application has been reviewed.